[Theforum] Member Pages .. was .. Re: New feature suggestions

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Thu Nov 15 22:32:39 CST 2001

Madhu,

The problem with this is ...

Not all user's in the DB have provided their real name .. it wasn't a must
enter field .. I don't think it is now either.
http://evolt.org/user/index.html?action=signup (need to be logged out, I
think?)

Looking at the signup page, only First Name is required... now.

However, there are a lot of UserId's that don't have the name listed at
all... If you do a search for "Mike" (must be logged in to perform user
search) .. you'll several without names listed at all.

The long and short of it is, only the User's ID is the consistent piece of
information we can be guaranteed will exist.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about displaying the name along with the user name
on the article page .. not at all taking into consideration what the future
might mean with Member pages, etc.

HTH

Michele