[Theforum] Re: Article Approvals

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Nov 29 15:46:41 CST 2001

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, .jeff wrote:
> you make it sound so easy.  the truth is that only someone with access to
> the database and with enough knowledge of oracle could do it.  we really
> need to build something like this into the cms itself.  workflow is alot of
> work to implement correctly though (eh martin?)

no, it wouldn't be totally easy, but it would prevent 'worst case
scenerios'. i agree we need to build something like that into the CMS too,
but we shoulnd't exclude people that want to help untill that particular
feature is in place(i think we just had a similar discussion here..)

> you trust a person solely on the basis that they've volunteered or because
> you already know them?

both. either! if miriam, for example, wanted to approve articles, i'd
vouch for her not only because I'm friends with her 'in real life', but
because she's volunteered on numerous occasions.

joel, who i've never met and only really known a short time is another
person i'd vouch for simply because he(and others i did and did not
mention) have shown a HUGE level of commitment to making evolt better.

jenny(my girlfriend) on the other hand, i wouldn't give access to :) sure,
i trust her more than anyone, but she doesn't have any business editing
articles.. i think what i'm getting at is each case is unique and needs to
be looked upon in that way. i'm not saying we should do a huge group add
to priv level 3 here :)

> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > i seriously doubt any one of them, or anyone on this
> > list, would purposly fuck shit up..
>
> i also seriously doubt any of the current volunteers would do anything
> malicious.  however, how we handle this in the future will depend alot on
> the answer you give to my question above.

i think most of us are pretty good judges of character.. I also think that
people are, on the whole, trustworthy. i really can't see someone wasting
the time to become trusted just to delete a couple articles off a web
developers website that they know are going to be restored anyways...

which question should i have paid more attention to? ;)

.djc.