[Theforum] Idea for new feature

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Dec 4 13:39:46 CST 2001

At 11:12 PM 12/4/2001, Miriam Frost typed these words:
>also privacy disclaimer would be good with that - I don't feel comfortable
>recommending articles without it. You think you're wierd about privacy and
>e-mail? Your friends are weirder and might not cotton to their addy being

Collect only the following information:

Sender's name
Sender's email
Recipient's email

Add a TEXTAREA for sender's comments (pre-populated with something like "I
thought you might find this article interesting")

Add a line at the bottom saying: Don't worry, we don't store your email
addresses anywhere on our systems. Read our <a href="privacy.htm"
target="_blank">privacy policy</a> if you like :)

Technically, you don't even need the sender's name, but "Madhu sent this
article to you" carries a lot more persuasive power than "webguru at vsnl.net
sent this article to you". It's the "I trust my friend" viral marketing
thingy (yes, that's the technical term for it) ;)

Joel wrote:
>I like the idea, but I'd be more inclined to use a 'recommend this article'
>link than just recommending the whole site. As a recipient, if someone sent

I suggested this because it would help in spreading the word to people
who've never heard of the site and hopefully entice them to explore a lot
of the site.

Then there's the challenge of giving people a full picture of ALL evolt
services once they hit the main page. At the moment, IMHO, other than a few
inconspicuous hyperlinks at the top right of the home page, there is little
indication of what lies within.

But that's a topic for another discussion, and we *must* have it again once
the survey results are in. Idle postulation doesn't serve us much. It's
better to work off real data instead. Dan, add it to your "things to
discuss" list. Isaac had some ideas about this too, IIRC.

Madhu

Madhu Menon
madhu at members.evolt.org
Blog: http://madman.weblogs.com