[Theforum] Survey update

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 20:06:06 CST 2001

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 18:28, Madhu Menon wrote:
> At 11:19 PM 12/4/2001, Daniel J. Cody typed these words:
> >wow. i didnt realize that anyone except garrett and george dillion read
> >those :)

Damn... busted *:)

> Possibly.
>
> But that's because there's a mass of text at the top of messages.

Madhu, that "mass of text" is part of the SMTP protocol (that's like
'ATM machine isn't it?..damn), it helps admins like our Danny boy there
diagnose email problems, and generally keep our daily entertainment all
smurfy.*:)

I'm not saying that putting the survey URL in the X-evolt header is a
bad idea, but remember not all mail clients treat the headers the same.

For instance, the email client I use (Evolution) only shows the headers
I want, and on a per folder basis. Some clients just show From: and
Subject:. Some won't highlight a url in headers.

Remember, this is the internet.... we have no idea what client anyone is
using.

But yeah... after that little meander, +1 on put the url in the X-evolt
header, good call *:)

G. "don't answer email after the pub... don't answer email after the
pub"