[Theforum] Monthly Recap - Draft Article for Community News .. by Isaac

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Thu Dec 6 11:14:50 CST 2001

Isaac,

I finally got around to reading this .. sorry for the delay.

A few points ..

The sample, firstly, secondly .. better to bullet the items than try to make
paragraphs.  One of the newsletters I receive each month has a nice feature:

"Congratulations to ..."

* Jeff Howden on the birth of his first son Aiden Julian, born __ November
2001.
* Olly Lastname on graduating with a BSc in Multimedia and Information
Technology from yadda.
* Bhurkin Lastname on his participation in the AITP Region 3 Conference
Programming Contest. He entered the Website Design and C++ competitions, and
won!

Note all written in third voice .. easy to skim (ok, maybe not so easy in
email ;).

Just a suggestion.

As the for the text in the article ..

"completing tertiary study" ?

huh?  I think we need more globally acceptable terminology.  ;)

"Many of you are aware of the antics many of your fellow ..."

drop the second "many".

"We think there's a good chance of this encouraging more of what much of
this community is about -- sharing trials and tribulations, and making
friends all over the planet who work in or around the Web."

Sounds very much like we are unsure of this project... I don't think that's
the message we want to convey.  How about making this a positive thing,
bringing the community together.

Can we avoid the negative of having to trim/pick and choose what gets
posted?  I'm concerned that might turn some people off.  IOW, let everyone
submit whatever they want.  We don't have a limit to how large this piece
can be .. it's not like we're working with a specific page size.  It is fair
to say that editors reserve the right not to publish material for whatever
reason .. (see article disclaimer).  With the web, I don't think there is
such a thing as too much for one issue. ;)

Last point, are you planning to use the regular evolt contact form for this?
Not sure you'd want these messages to end up in the admin queue, i.e.
requiring a response. But if we don't use the regular contact form .. how to
advertise this?

That's all for me...

Mich

isaac wrote:

| | Here's my draft of an intro message for the Community News monthly
recap.
| | Since Community News is actually the wider category name, this recap
| itself
| | probably needs a name. Any suggestions are welcome.
| |
| | http://members.evolt.org/isaac/evolt/community_news_intro.html
| |
| | The bullet list is currently missing: "meeting another evolt.org
member",
| so
| | keep that in mind.
| |
| | For those interested, the first edition of this recap is likely to
| include:
| |