[Theforum] Monthly Recap - Draft Article for Community News .. by Isaac

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Dec 6 17:14:07 CST 2001

> "completing tertiary study" ?
> huh?  I think we need more globally acceptable terminology.  ;)

I'd always assumed that "tertiary" was the global term that covered
post-secondary education. Is it not?

It is commonly used here.

Can I please have a response from CA, UK, US, and anywhere else?

> "Many of you are aware of the antics many of your fellow ..."
> drop the second "many".

Good.

> the message we want to convey.  How about making this a positive thing,
> bringing the community together.

Yep.

> Can we avoid the negative of having to trim/pick and choose what gets
> posted?  I'm concerned that might turn some people off.  IOW, let everyone
> submit whatever they want.  We don't have a limit to how large this piece
> can be .. it's not like we're working with a specific page size.
> It is fair
> to say that editors reserve the right not to publish material for whatever
> reason .. (see article disclaimer).  With the web, I don't think there is
> such a thing as too much for one issue. ;)

I see little difference between the friendly option of "pick/choose", and
the harsh legal option of "we reserve the right to ignore crap submissions".

While there is no real limit of too much for one issue, we may not want to
accept people submitting their "uncle bob's animated gif of the week"
awards. i'd rather use filler like "joe finally got his latest project to
validate AND keep the marketing people happy. have a look at what he's been
doing (link)".

> Last point, are you planning to use the regular evolt contact
> form for this?

Yes.

> Not sure you'd want these messages to end up in the admin queue, i.e.
> requiring a response. But if we don't use the regular contact

I think they'd be perfect there:

 - a reply would be: "thanks for submitting your bit. I'll make sure it gets
into the next recap"

 - the admin contact queue provides an archive of submissions so I/we don't
miss anything

 - it's visible to all admins so if anyone has any concerns, they can voice
them rather than wait until the recap is published.

> form .. how to advertise this?

This article announcing it on the site. Also sent to each list. Then regular
reminders.

Since there've been no other comments on this piece, I'll make your
suggested changes and then submit it.

I'll also write up the first recap. It'll probably start in skeletal form.
If anyone has any ideas for it, be sure to let me know. I'm hoping to plug
the survey numbers so far to try and encourage more responses.

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au