[Theforum] Confusables (was: confidentiality of survey results)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sat Dec 8 12:26:05 CST 2001

At 11:31 PM 12/8/2001, rudy wondered out loud:

>which i had never been to before, but which i suspect is gonna
>kill off the best part of my saturday --

My Saturday will disappear in about ten minutes, with nothing but a mild
fever and leftover chicken salad to show for it :(
But "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" offered some comfort :)
(He's much funnier than Jay Leno)   [1]

>ah, here it is -- "confusables"
>
>    http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/notorious.htm

Bookmarked. A few revelations, like the difference between "amoral" and
"immoral". Interesting...

Let me know if you need more such reading material :D

Oh, what the heck, it's a Saturday, so here's one:

http://kenlayne.com/2000/2001_12_02_logarc.html#7630106

Watch Ken Layne dissect and destroy a poorly-written op-ed piece on Yahoo.
Reading this is useful in learning how to avoid hyperbole and poor
introductions in stories.

If you don't automatically reach the correct bookmark on the page, search
for "Today's Jackass" :))

I really enjoy reading (and writing) this kind of stuff ;)

>but alas, nothing that i could see about the name for our homophonic
>misspellings...

I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm actually looking for the reason that
people, who *know* the difference between homonyms, go and make a mistake
in their email anyway. I've noticed that I've done this on a few ocassions
when I was thinking deeply about what I was writing. Perhaps my brain then
transferred more power to the thinking grid from the spelling grid. (Gosh I
sound like a Star Trek episode!)

I doubt we'll find a lingual term for it. It's something to do with
psychology...

Thanks,

Madhu

[1] Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien: hosts of late night talk shows on NBC in
USA. :)
http://www.nbc.com/leno and http://www.nbc.com/conan respectively

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant