[Theforum] Date format (was: +1/-1 Author Info Blocks)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Dec 10 08:50:33 CST 2001

At 07:58 PM 12/10/2001, aardvark typed these words:
>as for complaints, we have gotten comments... i've disliked the way
>we display dates since day one,

Where do I complain? Where?

Please consider my complaint formally registered. I intensely dislike the
American date format because I'm just not used to doing conversions every
time I see a date. :)

Why should we maintain an American date format? Why not British? The latter
has as good a case as the American format to be the one used.

But I'm the guy who preaches cultural awareness :)

So I wouldn't want our American friends to go nuts over a date format
that's alien to them either. That's why I recommended "dd mmm yy". There's
then *no* chance anyone will be confused over what the article date is.

01/06/2001 - First June, 2001 or Sixth January, 2001? Hmmm... it depends
where you live.

01 Jan 2001 - Anyone confused about what date this is?

Quad erat demonstrandum.

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant