[Theforum] Article bio design concept

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Mon Dec 10 23:59:57 CST 2001

> I'm starting to wonder about that tho .... ;)

Yes, the way I see it, the excuses for custom stylesheets are:

 - allow user to set font sizes for increased legibility
 - allow user to set colours for increased contrast (and thus legibility)
 - showing off

If we just redesigned so that font sizes were adjustable (I saw some nice
tricks in an ALA article which allowed this), and contrast was reasonable,
the first two excuses would be taken care of.

And to be completely honest, I think #3 is bullshit. Custom stylesheets have
caused us headaches in the past, and will prove to be a large roadblock in
the future. Custom stylesheets will do nothing to assist in our reasonably
strong branding.

I'd like to see WEO take small steps towards http://food.evolt.org/, and
that will not happen effectively with unpredictable user-styling in place.

If users still desperately want to custom-style evolt.org, they can do so
via their browser (in IE, Tools, Internet Options, Accessibility, 'Format
documents using my style sheet'; also available in any other modern
browser).

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au