[Theforum] Let's clear a couple of things up, bot-wise

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Dec 29 18:50:33 CST 2001

On Saturday, December 29, 2001, at 10:02  pm, Jeremy Ashcraft wrote:

> b) we don't need to log #evolt(isn't the government doing this for us
> anyway?).  i understand accountibility is an issue, but should I start
> CCing every evolt member on all my evolt related emails in case I say
> something that might offend someone else?

Well we archive everything else said in an evolt online forum...
Why be inconsistent? No-one's offered an argument for that
inconsistency beyond "well, well, well, it *shouldn't*, ok?"

Right now there's no accountability whatsoever. An
interesting angle is that right now, it's perfectly possible
to make spurious allegations - either by making stuff
up entirely or by quoting stuff out of context.

As I recall, that's one reason why Admin was publically
archived, because some members did just that. Having
protested about that behaviour with Admin, I'd like to
prevent it happening with #evolt, because those bullying,
abusive behaviours are very damaging.

> we just need to remember that
> #evolt is a public space and treat it as such

Would be nice, but it isn't happening.

> c) we don't need special guidelines for using #evolt.  everyone in there
> is well mannered(most of the time) and doesn't need someone(an Op)
> looking over their shoulder.

If that were true, we wouldn't really have a problem. But that's not
the case. People are being abusive, and there is no action to
prevent it by Ops.

> I think this list is spending too much time arguing about something
> really stupid.  in the last 102 messages sent to theforum, 8 have not
> been about this thread, and 5 have actually pertained to evolt and the
> true purpose of this list.

If this list isn't about discussing what happens in an evolt
space, what exactly *is* it for? And who *should* be discussing
what happens in evolt public spaces?

Jeremy if you'd like this taken back and decided by Admin, then
that's your opinion - I'm not sure many people would agree
with you.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,