[Theforum] voting

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue Jan 29 18:29:23 CST 2002

On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 11:43  pm, isaac wrote:

> 2/3's or majority?

Depends on what we're voting on - there needs to be
a clear delimiting point between the 2.

One loose way of thinking about it is that day to day
stuff is majority. Constitutional stuff about the way evolt
approaches something is 2/3

So, to pick examples from the past without revisiting the
arguments in question:

"Shall we move most of Admin's functions to a new list
with a wider level of participation?" is constitutional because
it's a major shift in the way evolt is run, and would be very,
very difficult to undo if it turned out to be a mistake. So
it's 2/3 because we need to be sure about it before we do
it.

"How shall members sign up for theheadlines" is operational,
and easily changed if it's not the best approach, so simple majority.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,