[Theforum] Re: Changes to the VotingReqs document

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Tue Feb 5 16:43:51 CST 2002

I'm thinking of adding a notation where the person who sets up a vote
must check a box which states "results anonymous" (individual votes will
not be shown) or "results released" (individuals votes will be shown).

I can see reasons why we would need to show who voted what. In most
cases, though, we wouldn't.

Now, my question here goes to how it would work. I'm thinking that if
the "results released" is checked then it kicks out after closing a list
plus a tally.

If it is set to "results anonymous" then we just get the tally.

I do understand that it sounds like it is impossible to have total
promised, uncompromised anonymity *if* we are also going to allow people
to change their votes.

I'm willing to go do that but am making note that we'll need some
checks/balance in place as to who accesses "anonymous" votes. Can we
secure it in some manner? Someone asked who has access at the db level.
That might be a good place to start. Maybe there's some notation
somewhere when someone accesses that information -- an IP or login or
something?

- amanda