[Theforum] Re: Changes to the VotingReqs document

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Tue Feb 5 17:16:33 CST 2002

In order to maintain vote integrity .. we must store the userID.  Why?
because we need to enforce one vote per userID.  Without storing the ID,
then the system can't check if I voted before or not.

Sorry, Amanda, there is no other way to verify who voted and that they only
voted once.

Fun, polls .. I don't care if we capture a userID or not .. that data
doesn't need to be integral.  Any actual votes does... and the only way to
enforce that is to capture the ID.

Imagine what would happen if you could go to any polling station in any
state you wanted without being registered to vote?  And if you could vote
many times?  Would the vote restuls be integral?

Discussing who has access to the live DB .. that's another issue .. and one
that does not have influence on the voting application.

HTH,

Michele