[Theforum] Re: Changes to the VotingReqs document

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Feb 7 00:42:16 CST 2002

(sigh) This will be my last message on the subject.

At 05:46 PM 2/6/2002, Warden, Matt wrote:
> >Setting a clustered index on a column (often the primary key) in a table
> >in SQL Server physically rearranges the order of the rows in the
> >table. The original comment was about whether data could be rearranged in
> >a table itself, to which I responded that a clustered index did this.
>
>I know. Which is why I responded.
>
>It doesn't.
>
>(see first message)

Then you need to read the SQL Server docs more carefully.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/createdb/cm_8_des_05_5h6b.asp>

<quote>

A clustered index determines the physical order of data in a table. A
clustered index is analogous to a telephone directory, which arranges data
by last name. Because the clustered index dictates the physical storage
order of the data in the table, a table can contain only one clustered index.

</quote>

and yet again:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/architec/8_ar_da2_8sit.asp>

<quote>
Clustered tables are tables that have a clustered index.

The data rows are stored in order based on the clustered index key.
</quote>

The indices you're talking about are *non-clustered* indices.

Other articles that say the *same* thing:
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/sqlguru/q021700-1.shtml
http://www.swynk.com/friends/achigrik/IndexOptimTips.asp

HTH,

Madhu