[Theforum] Have we talked about this already?

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Mar 21 19:12:49 CST 2002

<quote who="matt g">
> On the mousepad page, can/will we have more options to make money? i
> haven't read all of the fundraising threads/ideas, but i was wondering
> about the validity of the following, since it requires very little
> set-up and would more-or-less run itself (wouldn't it?).

yes and yes to your first questions. the page will hopefully develop into a
couple pages once there are products to sell besides mousepads.. page you
say, what page? :)

http://members.evolt.org/djc/evolt/mousepads/mousepad.html

and although i wish i could take credit for the design of such a great
looking page, many thanks go to matthewB(meo/bakiwop) for for that.

the backend needs to get worked out yet, and i need to get it on an SSL
server i have, but its close. i (almost) wish i wasn't heading to a
wings/lanche game this weekend so i could wrap it up :)

> 2) direct one-time donation via Paypal in any amount, but with
> suggestions along the lines of "$33 buys evolt 1 day of bandwidth", or
> "It's $1.37/hour, how many hours can we put you down for?".
>
> 3) *subscribe* via Paypal, giving the user several levels of options to
> commit to
> - $2,4,5,10/month
> - $5,10,15,20,25 quarterly
> - whatever else

great ideas!

> Also, are we going to link  to this page from things like the monthly
> stats mailing? You know, a link at the bottom (or *top* even) saying
> "this bandwidth is not free, and we would appreciate your (voluntary)
> help in paying for it."

i didn't realize that so many people liked that monthly stats thing(you're
the 4th to comment on it this week), but i have considered a nag message on
that email as well.. "100Gb a day!! Thats a new record, and *boy* could we
use your financial help with the DS-3 connection!" :)

thanks for the feedback!

.djc.