[Theforum] To clarify on the %40 thing

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Fri Apr 5 17:53:29 CST 2002

aardvark wrote:

>>From: "A. Erickson" <amanda at gawow.com>
>>I'm a bit worried that the method being used on evolt might not be
>>safe from spammers. It's only a guess but I thought I'd throw it out
>>there.
>>
>>Naturally, if anyone has any suggestions, they are welcome.
>
> anyone else have their %40 use picked up elsewhere?

> what other things are in use?  the @nospam?  the spaces?
>
> what can we use to ensure our members don't get confused,
> assuming at least a baseline understanding of what we'd be doing?
>
> hmmm....

Convert the entire address to numbered entities?

"username at host dot com"?

contact form that automatically forwards to the member's listed email
address?

It seems to me like beating the spambots is just an arms race and the
only sure-fire way to never get picked up by one of them is to never put
that email address on a web page in any format. All they've got to do is
look for different patterns, and it was probably only a matter of time
before they started looking for %40.

David

PS - Amanda, it may be too late to save amanda at gawow.com, but just in
case, you can use this tool to convert it to the numbered entities:

http://www.rip.ens-cachan.fr/~raffo/antispam/aem/