[Theforum] Re: root access

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Thu Apr 25 12:35:58 CDT 2002

ppk wrote:
>In my opinion the Admins/Steering Committee/whoever's-on-top *must* have
>root access (and maybe: must be the *only* body to have root access),
>even if it doesn't need it for day-to-day workIn my opinion the
>Admins/Steering Committee/whoever's-on-top *must* have
>root access (and maybe: must be the *only* body to have root access),
>even if it doesn't need it for day-to-day work

i see where you are coming from.

that doesn't mean i agree.

should the people on the steering committee be the only body with God
status on weo? I mean, the editing group can edit all they want, but those
with God status can just delete the thing.

should the people on the steering committee be the only body which can
sign checks and receive money? Any group can decide whatever they want,
but if they don't get the money to do it, they ain't gonna do it.

.. similar points can come from each group.

If all the power is in the steering committee, what are the other groups
for?

I think the key is cooperation. If you want to put some kind of
accountability/ass-kicking structure in place, that's fine. But, I think
the strength of this design is the distribution of responsibility.

I just think that if you put *all* the "power" in the steering committee,
you have just one group... no matter how it looks on paper.

IMO, anyway...

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com