[Theforum] Responsible public list practices

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue May 7 16:13:21 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 7, 2002, at 09:37  pm, John Corry wrote:

>> IF I WAS CAUGHT READING A PUBLIC EVOLT.ORG LIST WITH A
>> PORNOGRAPHIC SUBJECT LINE, I WOULD BE FIRED FROM MY JOB.
>

> Lemme get this straight...
>
> You work for a place that will fire it's employees if porn spam gets
> through to their work email?

As I understood it, Seb's working for a place where employees
get fired for signing up to mailinglists which send porn spam.

Which is somewhat different.

Think 'duty of care' folks. If you think that your minor inconvenience
is more important than the jobs of evolt.org members, perhaps you'd
like to rethink the meaning of 'community'.

Also think who we're answerable to - the members of each list.
If the members of a list request that the list be subscribers only,
there is no point in debating it further. Alea iacta est.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,