[Theforum] list management

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed May 8 16:46:26 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 10:17  pm, Michele Foster wrote:

> Someone explain something to me please.  Why is it that not just a few
> weeks
> ago I was personally blasted because I responded to a list membership
> email

Some factual amendments:

1) You responded to a a query which was *not* related to list
    admin
   http://admin.evolt.org/email/index.cfm?action=detail&cid=24578
"The text area used by <pre> </pre> tags in evolt articles looks ugly in
Mozilla - it's just too big. Any chance of changing the stylesheet so it
displays a little smaller?"

2) The role you had been offered and had accepted was to
    do list admin - you had answered a query relating to this
    earlier in the day without any criticism
http://admin.evolt.org/email/index.cfm?action=detail&cid=24773
"I've been trying to log into the evolt site to turn my mail delivery
back on after a vacation. I can't log in, and I can't seem to get my
password e-mailed to me."

3) You were not 'blasted', you were invited to rejoin admin and
    accept the accountability of being named as such (rather than
    just taking the rights without accepting the accountability):
http://lists.evolt.org/adminarchive/Week-of-Mon-20020415/003381.html
"is this you wanting to rejoin Admin for the rest of Admin tasks?
If so, great (I think I've said a number of times that you would be very
welcome back as an Admin)." I also cited 2 posts which were part of the
previous time you used admin access without being accountable for it,
one of which said:
"the only difference between what you are doing and what being on admin
means is that you acknowledge you're acting as an admin..."

> as Dan gave me access (actually he never took it away, I just wasn't
> using
> it)?  I've seen a call made for others to help Adrian administer
> thelist.
> Ok, fair enough, but umm.. where was that decision made?

I don't think a decision was made to ask for offers, although I
think that it's implicit in
http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20020415/003858.html
that it should be an open process which rights are given out on
abilit, willingness to serve and need.

> How come now it's
> not an Admin Only Task just because Adrian's in charge of it?

As above, i don't think it ever was, but if it were, the answer
would be "because we're past that, and that's A Good Thing"

None of this is intended as a personal cricitism btw, Michele -
as before, simply addressing the facts.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,