[Theforum] Hosting

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed May 15 05:39:24 CDT 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hey Garrett

While I don't disagree with you (but also see the POV of people with
experience in the MS house), I think 2 important points are:

1) Oracle/CF is not an absolute - if it's in evolt.org's overall best
interests to move to another platform, then we should be able to do that.
2) The decision of whether to move, and what to move to, have a number of
quite strong influencing factors, not least cost, philosophy (should
evolt.org be OSS wherever possible? Is it worth the disruption of moving?
etc) and capabilities of the people involved. Making those decisions would
probably only happen with the strong support of the backend group.

iow, it ain't going to happen for a laugh, or without serious thought, and
I'd be surprised if you didn't have a strong voice in that support.

>> Depending on our options, it may be feasible to shift this to
>> Win2K/SQLServer if an opportunity presented itself (Oracle being much
more
>> expensive).

>And a license for Win2k/SQLServer is how much? Surely if money is an
>option (and it obviously will be) then an MS platform is not the ideal
>solution.

>It would also mean I couldn't take part in server administration on the
>weo side as this is a platform I don't have any experience with.

>This is from my personal pov, I'm not trying to start a flame war (and I
>won't get involved with one), but I would have major problems with evolt
>going down this route.

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.
computer.