[Theforum] finding a home for weo & leo

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon May 20 09:00:55 CDT 2002

On Monday, May 20, 2002, at 02:41  pm, rudy wrote:

>> It's simple due diligence - making sure that we do something this
>> significant correctly, rather than just expediantly.
>
> i agree, but perhaps you can translate that into english

Let's use the time we have to get it right, not just take an offer just
because it's an offer.

>> To do anything else is raising enormous levels of risk for evolt.org.
>
> dude, i don't think i can stress it enough, we already have the
> *ultimate*
> risk level happening right now -- if we don't pull our fingers out of
> our
> asses by january, evolt is dead, kaput, finito already
>
> your due diligence may only just be getting started by then

7 months, Rude, not 7 days.

>> If Ron is pissed off about being asked to demonstrate his outfit's
>> capabilities for something this significant, it would be a major
>> questionmark in my mind.
>
> i didn't say ron was pissed off, i said i would be if i were in his
> shoes
>
> and please don't raise *any* questionmarks about ron

I wasn't and didn't raise anything about Ron. If you're reading that I'm
questioning Ron's integrity or dedication, please stop looking for
knives in places they clearly aren't.

> for those of you who don't know ron, he's an "original" evolter and has
> hosted parts of evolt before
>
> he needs to demonstrate nothing further

Rudy, please, this is not a case of an individual proving himself.

Hosting somewhere simply on the basis of "mates" is the worst thing all
round. If I were running a hosting company, and evolt moved to my place
simply because it was me, I would be extremely offended. I would want to
be able to say that I got the work because I'm the best at what I do.

If Ron's offer won't stand up to scrutiny, we would be doing evolt and
Ron a disservice by taking it. Further, if we did have problems down the
road, the fallout of a "mates" decision is a thousand times worse than a
proper decision.

If you really believe that Ron's offer will pass the acid test, then
quit turning this into a question of Ron's integrity (which, yet again,
I don't doubt). If on the other hand you have doubts about Ron's firm's
ability to effectively host evolt.org's services, then say so, rather
than distracting attention from them.

On the gripping hand, if you fear I'm merely trying to stop Ron getting
the work then
a) You really don't know me at all
b) You've not grasped that due diligence *increases* the chances of a
proper offer being selected

> the time for pontificating is over
>
> we've had three years of that on admin, and look where it got us

3 years of success and growth?

Please do not try to position thinking as pontificating. That's the kind
of prejudice which assumes that all processes are unnecessary.

> we may not have time to select a host "by the book," martin

Not a case to say "Let's not bother trying"

This is not something we dare fuck up, particularly by laziness, or
invoking "mates".

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,