[Theforum] meo abuse - archive note to come back to

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue May 21 04:49:57 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 21, 2002, at 10:32  am, .jeff wrote:

> if i go look at the top referrers to meo accounts, the top 100 contain a
> disproportionate number of instances where meo space is used for image
> hosting (whether or not it's being used for other constructive things
> should
> probably be determined).  i see very few links from top referrer pages
> going
> to meo accounts that are using the space for what it was intended.

Just noting this thought for archiving purposes so we can come back to
it later, rather than spending time and energy on it rn.

 From the meo front page:
> What is members.evolt.org?
>
> *	members.evolt.org is a service which provides free hosting for web
> developers looking to enhance their skillset with technologies they are
> familiar with OR for those developers looking to learn *new*
> technologies that they may not have the resources to pursue on their
> own. It's also a nice way to spread a little advocacy for evolt.org.
>
> What is members.evolt.org not?
>
> *	Members.evolt.org is NOT a 'general hosting' service. It is not
> for running personal bulletin boards, a fast link for you to put
> files/images on, or some place to come because you don't feel like
> paying for hosting. The only reason this is mentioned as the second
> item is because so many people think that we're here to give out free
> space and bandwidth for anyone and everyone. Hopefully this makes it
> crystal clear.

If the purpose of meo hosting is to allow people to learn, then sites
hosted there shouldn't be production sites. So using much bandwidth is a
red flag, as are significant numbers of off-meo referers. The 'top 100'
list shouldn't be celebrated as much as used as a checklist against the
above.

(Main exception - stuff which is for the benefit of evolt, so supporting
materials for tutorials (demos etc) are fine.)

I think it's fine to *run* movable type or whatever on meo, as long as
it's mirrored elsewhere (using wget or whatever) for production purposes.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,