Prioritisation vote: [Theforum] Re: meo

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Tue May 21 06:18:39 CDT 2002

Martin said:

> On Tuesday, May 21, 2002, at 10:49  am, William Anderson wrote:
>
>> yep, and I think the definite way forward is to either charge for meo
>> (which
>> obviously entails formalising the service waaaaaay more than it is at
>> present) or just to scrap the web hosting part and retain the email
>> service.
>> If someone can think of a cooler alternative, excellent
>
> Option 3 - enforce it much more strictly. Unless it's something *for*
> evolt (which would mostly be stuff involved in the running of evolt, or
> tutorial support material), production use will not be tolerated.

+1 - This will probably have to involve someone being directly responsible
for policing it though, if we do get the amount of abuse constantly which
..jeff just pointed out. Also, a system of different punishments for misuse
of meo should be worked out. something along the lines of - using it for
image hosting, temporary cancelling until they can prove they should be
given another go. using it for image hosting after that - meo account
disabled permanently. porn / warez - immediate cancelling of meo account,
along with weo account.

> As the front page says "members.evolt.org is <strong>NOT</strong> a
> 'general hosting' service"

OTOH, if we want people to give donations towards meo, I think we should be
prepared to give a little slack here - ie small things such as a personal
blog (heck, djc had his one here for how long?) would be allowed, but
anything much beyond that not allowed.

> We've removed abuse accounts before.

I would hope so... the important thing is to keep up constant vigilance.

Hmm.. all that stuff about giving back to the community reminds me that I
should start work on my CSS repository...

Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/
MSN: luminosity @ members.evolt.org