[Theforum] meo abuse - archive note to come back to

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue May 21 10:37:08 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 21, 2002, at 04:13  pm, Ben Phillips wrote:

>> I think it's fine to *run* movable type or whatever on meo,
>> as long as it's mirrored elsewhere (using wget or whatever)
>> for production purposes.
>
> what exactly is a production site? does this mean that i can't use my
> meo space as a place for messing around with stuff in the form of a
> personal site, if people are going to be looking at my site?

A site whose main purpose is for other people to view/use, as opposed to
a development site whose main purpose is to get stuff working, to learn
and all that.

You want to play around with a bbs to get it working/develop it/learn
how they're put together? Fine, that's development. Want to *run* a bbs
where people take part in discussions? That's production.

Example - rn my meo account houses a (somewhat out of date) mirror of my
site. I was using it to learn how wget works so that I can use my home
Zope box as a CMS and have the content actually served from
www.easyweb.co.uk which doesn't have Zope on it (the reason for not
serving www.easyweb.co.uk from my home Zope box is that my cable
provider's TOS also prohibits production use).

I don't point people at my meo account when I tell people 'go look at my
site', I point them to my production server at www.easyweb.co.uk

> where exactly is the line drawn? now that everything is becoming more
> rigid and rule based at evolt.org,

For meo accounts, it always was

> it would be nice to have some
> official rules for what is and isn't allowed on a member's site.

http://www.members.evolt.org

What is members.evolt.org?

*	members.evolt.org is a service which provides free hosting for web
developers looking to enhance their skillset with technologies they are
familiar with OR for those developers looking to learn *new*
technologies that they may not have the resources to pursue on their
own. It's also a nice way to spread a little advocacy for evolt.org.

What is members.evolt.org not?

*	Members.evolt.org is NOT a 'general hosting' service. It is not for
running personal bulletin boards, a fast link for you to put
files/images on, or some place to come because you don't feel like
paying for hosting. The only reason this is mentioned as the second item
is because so many people think that we're here to give out free space
and bandwidth for anyone and everyone. Hopefully this makes it crystal
clear.

...snip...

*	If you're looking for space for MP3's, bulletin boards, chatrooms,
pictures of Mandy Moore, or Star Trek episodes, there are plenty of
other services available for you.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,