[Theforum] Re: meo abuse

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue May 21 14:21:20 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 21, 2002, at 07:35  pm, Warden, Matt wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>>> where exactly is the line drawn? now that everything is becoming more
>>> rigid and rule based at evolt.org,
>>
>> For meo accounts, it always was
>
> for someone who has never handled the enforcement of meo, you seem to
> know
> a lot...

The front page of meo is quite explicit. I can read it.

> no, meo accounts have NEVER been as strictly enforced as is being
> suggested here

So you're saying that the service wasn't run as per the front page of
meo (which is what was agreed btw).

So which was in error, the front page of meo, the running of the service?

> no, it's not against the ToS to have people actually use what you've
> been
> working on/playing with on your meo account.
>
> no, it's not wrong to point peopel to your meo account. in fact, dan
> and i
> have talked many times about ways to INCREASE this, especially AMONG meo
> accounts:
>
> "check out what mnickel is doing in flash. here's my attempt at a
> similar
> experiment."

Experimentation.

> or:
> "wow. what a cool idea.look how martinb altered MovableType"

Development.

As I said, both are OK.

> meo accounts have only been shut down when there is a blatent disregard
> for our rules.

Would these be the rules as per the front page of meo? I haven't
mentioned anything but following them.

> it would be perfectly reasonable to throttle meo's bandwidth, and... no
> one could bitch. well, they could, but that's when we politely point
> them
> to the ToS.

rn shutting down any production sites not being used for evolt stuff
would also fall into that.

> anyhow, enforcing set guidelines isn't theforum's job. theforum's job is
> to do things like...

Set those guidelines and request that they be enforced.

> make sure evolt has a home.

...which is related to the amount of bandwidth used by evolt's services.
Which is related to people using meo as a production service for free
bandwidth. As it says on the front page of meo:
"Members.evolt.org is NOT a 'general hosting' service. It is not for
running personal bulletin boards, a fast link for you to put
files/images on, or some place to come because you don't feel like
paying for hosting."

> i say we take martin's advice and leave reviewing the guidelines for a
> later time.

imo we already have guidelines.

> that said, i'll take a look through the accounts mentioned (that i
> haven't already looked at recently) and send out emails accordingly.

Cool.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,