[Theforum] FundRaising and Hosting/Move Solutions Proposal

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue May 21 17:29:10 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 21, 2002, at 11:06  pm, Patti Ames wrote:

>> 3.b)  Down-time move.  This would require announcing a day or two of
>> downtime, doing backups, shutting down, moving, starting and testing,
>> then serving off the evolt.org boxes.
>
> Don't forget about the "moves never go smoothly" fudge factor. I have
> done a lot of moves, and almost none have gone smoothly. Expecting
> the move to only take 2 days - with a 34hr drive - is pretty
> optimistic. I recently shipped a 2u, 35lb server across the country
> (CA -> NC) for $60.

I'm also a bit nervous about putting all our eggs into one stationwagon.
Road accidents do happen, and even if an accident were to no more than
bruise our gallant driver (and please god no more than that), I don't
want to lose the entire infrastructure of the organisation to one third
party drunk.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,