Prioritisation vote: [Theforum] Re: meo

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Tue May 21 18:50:39 CDT 2002

Lauri Vain said:
> I think we should go with the 'distributed processing' idea to save beo
> -- it wouldn't cost us almost anything. Yes, somebody would have to
> write the application to keep track of the browsers and redirect
> requests. That wouldn't probably be too much work, though. Once the
> code is ready, we can assign administrators (I would gladly be one) who
> would keep track of the browsers, update archives etc.

+1

> My point is that we can create a low-cost solution to save beo (which
> would be great for everybody, us and all of the members and
> non-members). For meo, however, we would need our own server and
> hosting (whereas the code that redirects beo requests could easily
> reside on our future weo server).

But this service is one which is more likely to pull in donations, IMHO
which would pay for itself.

> For
> meo, people will run away once they buy their own domain (let's face it
> -- how many people prefer to be hosted in a subdirectory).

Meo isn't about general hosting though - how many hosts can people buy that
have chilisoft asp, php, cgi, cf...?

> ... it is not an unique resource,
> unlike some other evolt projects.

I disagree. There is no *learning resource* like meo around. I still
wouldn't know squat php if not for meo, for example.

Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/
MSN: luminosity @ members.evolt.org