[Theforum] Re: meo

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue May 21 23:26:49 CDT 2002

> From: Ron Dorman <rwd at csi1st.net>
[...]
> Hope you don't mind an off-list email.

ugh... is this what's going on in the background?  people sending
offlist messages to each other to complain?  let's keep it onlist,
and try to be honest with what we each think...

you won't find me approaching people offlist to drum up support or
further an agenda (raise your hand if i've ever done that to you, or
if when you've approached me, i haven't told you to bring it here)...
that's what creates this schism we see here...

hate me all you want, but let's make these discussions issue-based,
not based on the personality we hate this week...

here's an idea... do what i do, read the email without a 'from'
column in your client, and with no headers in the posts... it's
amazing how people you may have discounted before can really be
insightful when you disconnect them from the name...

[...]
> Traffic is way down on all lists, aardvark is struggling with the
> change to subscriber-only posts on thelist, and all the changes that
> "the few" have been harping on for at least a year and finally got,
> are showing the fruit.  things were the way they were for a reason.
> It is becoming apparent now.  You should be able to tell who "the few"
> are, aardvark not one of them, just had a hardon for subscriber-only.

i am sorry that you see my role over that past year reduced to
nothing more than a hard-on for a sub-only list... i would hope a
surf through the archives of *any* list would say otherwise, and i
would hope a comparison of involvement to others (you included) would
demonstrate that i've always put evolt.org first and made it a
priority over many things in my life...

if you don't agree, then get it on the table, or make an effort to
not disparage me offlist... it's unbecoming of you and it sets an
unfortunate tone for others...

> Again, there are more that are with the original concepts and want to
> keep things good, than those that want things . . . "corporate?".
> Hang with the good until we get it fixed.  maybe we can get the
> problems "evicted" soon.  I don't think it will bring djc back, but I
> think he will remain "involved" for many years to come.
[...]

if you see me as one of the problems, then bring up a vote to get me
to go away... it's not that hard...

i've always tried to respond to what people are asking for... the
"hard-on" for a closed list was something challenged or disregarded
by primarily one person (but asked for by many), who under pressure,
threw a hissy fit and unceremoniously threw it at me... if you don't
like how i'm doing it (sans documentation or records of best
practices), vote to take it away from me... again, it's not that
hard... wanna open thelist?  put it up for a vote...

but by god, do it in the open, above board, and with your name on
it... take a stand instead of maneuvering behind me...

if you want to see where the numbers are for membership and
participation on thelist, i can tell you, i have the dates of each
sub and unsub archived, and i think you'll find almost no significant
loss or gain... you'll just need to give me some time to sort them
out and remove notifications from theforum/thechat/thesite...

i can also provide numbers on how many list members have been posting
from addresses not subbed (we just hit 1% the other day, but it
dropped again as i cleaned a few out of the list that allows
alternate addresses to post)...

so, if we can get back to facts now...

--
Read the evolt.org case study