[Theforum] Re: meo

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed May 22 00:17:09 CDT 2002

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at members.evolt.org>
>
> gosh, i hate disupting percentages, but its the math major in me..
> where are you getting 1%? i just tail'd the logfile and found this:
>
> May 21 05:25:01 2002 (26754) thelist post from
> philparker.dns at btinternet.com held: Post by non-member to a
> members-only list May 21 05:28:01 2002 (26866) thelist post from
> philparker.dns at btinternet.com held: Post by non-member to a
> members-only list May 21 06:14:02 2002 (28447) thelist post from
> schoolcraftj at sytexinc.com held: Post by non-member to a members-only
> list
>
> and thats within a 1 hour period this afternoon. at least no spam is
> getting through though.

up until last night, when my internet connection pooped the bed, i
had been adding all addresses from members that posted from alternate
accounts to the exceptions list... that way nobody would experience
the issue a second time...

that list is 38 addresses long, but includes a handful of dupes (some
people have 2 or 3 addresses in there) and the headlines at evolt
addy...

from a 2900 person list, that's 1.3% (38).. .removing dupes and the
like, and adding the two addresses you cite, that drops it to 1.1%
(34)... if i further remove the addys that subbed themselves, well, i
know of three so far, but i'll have to check the rest, that's (31)
1.06%...  a few days ago, it was sub-1%...

if i just went with the two addys in the logfile you provide, of
course, we'd have a significantly lower number... if you want, i can
average the number of held posts from unsubbed addys per day...

if you'd like to see all held post notifications since the 6th, i can
provide a list of that, as well... i can also provide a list of all
posts held for "suspicious headers" that contain completely normal
headers...

why, what percentages did you get?

and if you think i'm reading the data wrong, lemme know, or point me
to some documentation... i'm sure it could be useful...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself