[Theforum] list admin -- vote?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Wed May 22 05:44:18 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: <martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com>
To: <theforum at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [Theforum] list admin -- vote?

> Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers
>
> -------------------- Start of message text --------------------
>
> Sounds like there's a highlevel pwd which accesses *all* the lists
> plus a list-specific lowlevel one for each list.

yup, unless mg differs wildly from mm, it's the root shell password on leo,
i.e. there's no overall controlling interface for mailman/mg beyond the
shell prompt.

> The low-level one sounds the sensible one to use, with our pool of
> volunteers (me included) being allocated to specific list(s).

each list is created individually, and are assigned individual admin
passwords.  You can't have more than one admin password per list.  You can
know the admin password and perform admin tasks, but not necessarily be in
the admin list (thus receiving bounce, error and administrivia msgs sent to
<listname>-admin at leo).

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'