[Theforum] prioritization vote - last call

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Thu May 23 10:20:45 CDT 2002

Martin wrote:

> > If a solid long term plan
> > can't be found for all *eo sites, I'd rather see everything run from one
> > box(with bandwifth restrictions, etc) in the interim and take a
> > performance hit than do away with any part of evolt.
>
> Now that is an interesting suggestion.
>
> I'll defer to those with the smarts to say how well the bandwidth
> restriction for separate services would work.

John pretty well covered everything on one box, thanks.

A for bandwidth restricting (throttling):
You don't really reduce the amount of data being transferred, you just slow things down when
the throttle limit is reached.  (bandwidth limit on the other hand, most hosts suspend
service or auto charge for usage over allotted bandwidth)  Restricting (throttling bandwidth)
will not save us any expense.  The key to hosting cost is amount of data transferred, not how
fast it is transferred.

I believe our best method for reducing hosting cost is to link to current browser providers
for downloads from beo.  We keep and serve browsers that are no longer available from the
providers. (there is a thread on this somewhere)

The only way to reduce bandwidth costs is to reduce the quantity of data we transfer.

Ron D.