[Theforum] Re: funding options

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu May 23 22:40:51 CDT 2002

> From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>
>
> > if we get them to pre-pay for the year, then it's only once... if we
> > get quarterly, then it's four times a year... etc...
> >
> > ideally, we should push for that since the administrative hassle to
> > us wouild be less...
>
> I agree, but I still think that affiliate hosting with an evolt.org
> commission would cover the costs of evolt.org (including MEO as it
> currently stands). I'd rather run surveys on that before we throw "MEO
> to become paid service only" fear into MEO users.

ideally, yes, affiliate hosting would be much preferred to payment
from meo users, but i also think a nominal fee on meo inserts just
enough of a barrier to those looking to host just images and other
stuff...  even at $3 a month (or whatever), it's a great deal...

> How about a mini-survey right here and right now:

where?  here?  no!  oh... too late...

> Of the people on theforum, please indicate whether you have smallish
> sites hosted (and how many). Also indicate whether you would shift
> these to a quality host offering comparable features if that host
> provided a kickback to evolt.org.

most of our new sites sit in our cms, so those aren't moving hosts
any time soon...

them small sites fall into two categories:
- those who host locally because of the whole push to support the
local market (big political thing in town right now)...
- those who could be moved, but the client might not go for it...

i would guess that if an appropriate NT host with the same features
as places like hostway were on this list, i could move maybe 4 or
5...

but going forward, i could push the smaller sites that way in the
development stages, reducing hassle to the client that a move would
entail...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself