[Theforum] BEO again

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Fri May 24 12:24:26 CDT 2002

aardvark wrote:

> > From: Ron Dorman <rwd at csi1st.net>
> >
> > > Not sure if this will help or not but for April:
> > >
> > >    http://members.evolt.org/dmah/browsers_by_download.html
> > >    http://members.evolt.org/dmah/browsers_by_name.html
> >
> > Yes, thanks.  Now we just need to find which of the big downloads are
> > still available from MS and NetScape.  Could save some data transfer
> > cost.
>
> it could, yes, and i think that's a great idea...
>
> however, one of the most requested archives has been IE4, and the
> d/l stats bear that out... MS doesn't offer IE4, or 5 even, on their
> site, so you're stuck hunting for it...

I was afraid MS didn't offer them any longer.  Any archives available by MS
that would make them available?

> other browsers up there, however, most notably all NN and N
> archives, could be pointed back to the netscape site...
>
> IE's the bear, though, one that people can't really get elsewhere...
>
> i know you said throttling doesn't do much, but if we limit
> simultaneous connections to those directories (can you limit to
> that level of granularity?), we could cut down the number of d/ls per
> day, and ideally, the bandwidth associated with it would be cut...

It probably would reduce the d/l's for that day, but the requester will
probably come back the next day and you use the bandwidth.  You may spread
it out a few days but eventually it gets used if we're the only place to
get the browser.

Ron D.