[Theforum] BEO again

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri May 24 12:49:18 CDT 2002

> From: Ron Dorman <rwd at csi1st.net>
> >
> > however, one of the most requested archives has been IE4, and the
> > d/l stats bear that out... MS doesn't offer IE4, or 5 even, on their
> > site, so you're stuck hunting for it...
>
> I was afraid MS didn't offer them any longer.  Any archives available
> by MS that would make them available?

i never found one... that's not to say it doesn't exist, but it certainly
doesn't seem to be in line with their marketing efforts...

i think that's a big reason why so many people requested it...

> > i know you said throttling doesn't do much, but if we limit
> > simultaneous connections to those directories (can you limit to that
> > level of granularity?), we could cut down the number of d/ls per
> > day, and ideally, the bandwidth associated with it would be cut...
>
> It probably would reduce the d/l's for that day, but the requester
> will probably come back the next day and you use the bandwidth.  You
> may spread it out a few days but eventually it gets used if we're the
> only place to get the browser.

agreed, but i've used this type 'throttling' to restrict overall
bandwidth for an indeterminate number of time...

now, i'm not an ISP, and i wouldn't claim to know too much about
the process, but it did have an effect... namely because as the guy
came back the next day, he was blocking someone else from
getting in.. etc...

just thoughts...

--
Read the evolt.org case study