[Theforum] community vs. corporations (was: funding options)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat May 25 08:38:55 CDT 2002

> From: "Lachlan Cannon" <luminosity at members.evolt.org>
[...]
> > Of course we can't ask for taxes, but we can ask for financial
> > support in other ways. One is to ask people to contribute what they
> > *can* for meo space. I'm just throwing ideas out here, but perhaps
> > the thing to do is not to set a gift amount, but to *suggest* a gift
> > amount (starting at something really low). Perhaps we can require
> > that people give *something* in order to partake in the meo service,
> > whatever they can afford according to their economic situation? I
> > dunno...
>
> I like this idea, but... I have barely any money (no job). I also have
> no way of actually making a payment apart from mailing money over,
> which is of course, hardly practical. To make up for this I try to
> contribute as much as I can to evolt.org... I don't know how many
> other people there are with similar situations, but I believe we still
> need to support learners - especially since they'll be the next
> generation keeping evolt going. If we do go ahead with this plan, I
> believe we need to have some sort of patronage program, where someone
> unable currently to pay, asks for someones patronage, and can point to
> what they've done for evolt, for people to judge whether or not they
> feel that person is worth being a patron for.
[...]

i agree... codifying an exceptions plan is a good idea... there may
be some people who contribute so much already that if they ask, we
should consider excepting them from the payment plan...

but it should be treated as an exception...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself