[Theforum] fundraising update (was: evolt.org stuff)

Marlene Bruce marlene at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 4 15:23:28 CDT 2002

Hi John,

>Again, an 'unincorprated association' exists here at
>the point where a group of individuals say it does.

Hm, hadn't caught on to that type of group. But it appears we have
those too: http://www.ss.ca.gov/business/other/bp_other.htm

I just called my favored bank, but they can't open an account without
a tax ID number (either federal for a business, or personal in the
form of a social security number). It is all tied in to that
liability issue you mention.

>There isn't any limitation on liability by default, but
>then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't really know enough to be sure whether that's bad or not.
However, I do know that I don't want to be personally liable for
evolt.org's money (unless I were to abscond it, which isn't going to
happen). If I'm understanding you correctly and we decide that this
is the best solution, someone else will have to arrange and manage
the account.

Thanks,
Marlene