[Theforum] Lists Closed to Subscription

Chris Spruck cspruck at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 4 22:01:16 CDT 2002

At 08:35 PM 6/4/02 -0600, Dean Mah wrote:
>Now that everyone has had time to get into their group and subscribe
>their list, correct?  Should the lists, namely content, sysadmin,
>thesite, marketing, and finance be closed to subscriptions?

Dean,

I've been on the periphery of most of the recent discussion, so I apologize if I've missed something. Is there any particular reason to close subscriptions to these lists? Does subscription to any given list necessarily imply active duty within a group? (If so, I should probably be booted from just about everything, hehe). I could see where a new person might not be sure what group they'd like to help with and might be interested in lurking on a group list to see what's going on. On the other hand, since archives are public, that would also let new people see what's going on, so maybe you have specific reasons to close the subs? Closing subs *would* prevent spammers from subbing just to spam, then dropping their subscription. Any further pros or cons?

Chris