[Theforum] another online community in trouble

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 19 09:13:17 CDT 2002

> From: "Warden, Matt" <mwarden at mattwarden.com>
[...]
> but if you really want to cut evolt costs, you have to do something
> with *BEO*.
>
> http://lists.evolt.org/sysadminarchive/2002-June/000145.html

agreed... something has to be done with beo...

now that we've remember that, does that mean we *can't* work on
the other services to keep bandwidth down?  yeah 20GB is a
pittance compared to 140GB, but it's still 20GB...

> think i'm smokin the good stuff? check out the hosting prices for
> 140GB and growing (May was 40GB higher than April) compared to 20GB
> and steady.
>
> my thoughts: don't mess with a good thing if you don't have to. and we
> don't.

what about if there's a better thing out there?

then what?

should we incur costs and allocate resources to something that's
second-tier in its service level?  couldn't we use those resources
elsewhere?

those are mostly rhetorical, and i'm not taking shots at anyone, but
if another browser archive opened that had a crapload more
browsers than beo, insofar as we are trying to service members, i'd
point them there -- perhaps even pass on the archive to help them
fill out theirs...

we can't do everything as the best, so why not stick to what we
*can* do as the best (or different in a good way) and pass the torch
on to the others?

> and we don't even have to sell our souls to corporate sponsors!

good, i already sold mine...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself