FWD: Re: [Theforum] Downtime on Friday

Daniel J. Cody djc at f2o.org
Thu Jul 11 16:10:52 CDT 2002

Not sure which list this came from, but this just got fwd'd to me, and I
wanted to clarify the issue..

> Due to some electrical updates in our current hosting facilities, there's a
> chance that we could suffer some downtime tomorrow past 17:00. This
> would only
> happen if the update job lasts longer thatn our UPS systems.

If the update takes longer than expected and the UPS is running 'low',
evolt will be the first thing to go off to ensure the other machines
that carry a higher priority *dont* go down. As an example, if there's
45 minutes of power left in the UPS, and it looks like the electrical
updates will take longer than that, evolt servers will get shut down so
the rest of the servers will be able to stay up longer than they would
if the evolt servers were allowed to stay on.

I don't know if thats much clearer, but if not, lemme know

Dan