[Theforum] Archival Process

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at cph.org
Tue Jul 23 12:20:16 CDT 2002

> does anyone here realize we're *seriously*
> in the majority with the idea that *all*
> articles *ever* submitted and approved
> will *always* be available?

Actually, no, I didn't realize that. Makes me feel a bit better about the
archival process, though.

Perhaps we need to cool off and step back from this for a second. I must
have missed the original discussion that kicked all this off (since I'm not
subbed to DesDev or Content), so maybe if we get some clear answers to some
pointed questions, people will relax a little.

 - Why are we archving? Rudy's post implies that the sole reason is to
lighten the load on the db. Is that so?

 - OK, so we need to archive. What happens? Will incoming links break?

 - It seems that the archival process will remove older articles from the
results when you browse a category, and will add a little
paragraph/disclaimer that says "this is archived; no longer maintained. the
info might be old and links might be broken." fair enough. Does the archival
process do anything else (to the end users)?

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues here. Let's
just get it all out onto the table before we start slitting each other's
throats.

--ken