[Theforum] donation drive

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Sat Jul 27 11:46:37 CDT 2002

Martin Burns wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Warden, Matt wrote:
>
>>i haven't heard anyone objecting. can we move the donation header from teo
>>to weo?
>>
>>we have the number for goal one: $306.25
>>
>>hosting will probably be around $800/mo (although, as has been said, we
>>simply won't know until we see how much bandwidth is used)

The last numbers Dan captured included all types of traffic used (http,
POP, smtp, ftp, etc.) and put us using a full T1+ during the 24 hours of
capture.  Where we are currently hosted, we only have a T1 and are
restricted by the bandwidth.  Here at our location, we run BGP routing
with multiple T's.  This means that after the move we will sometimes use
more than a T1 of bandwidth, sometimes less.  If it averages out to a T1
for the month, my cost is $995 on the cheapest T1 I have.  Average T1's
cost $1100 - $1200 per month.

>But if we make that the target, on the "we'd like to pay our way if we
>can" basis, then we should use it.
>
>Also, we should count donated bandwidth from mirrors against that. So if
>we get (say) 50Gb a month donated, that would add $x to the total as it
>will reduce Ron's support.
>
>Seeing the total going up is good donor pyschology juju, so maybe add it
>in every month..?
>
>Ron, can you have a go at working out how much value each monthly Gb
>donated has?

My bandwidth cost breaks down to $3.15 per GB per month on the cheapest
T1 I have.  An average cost of $1150 per T1 per month breaks down to
$3.64 per GB per month.

Ron D.