[theforum] Short Down Time for Upgrade

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Aug 15 11:58:07 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Ron Dorman" <rwd at csi1st.net>
To: <theforum at lists.evolt.org>
Cc: <content at lists.evolt.org>; <marketing at lists.evolt.org>;
<steering at lists.evolt.org>; <sysadmin at lists.evolt.org> Sent: Thursday,
August 15, 2002 4:55 PM Subject: [Sysadmin] Short Down Time for Upgrade

> Apologies for all the cross posts, but don't know a better way to get
> this to everyone.  Please keep all responses on the theforum.

okely dokely

> [cs1st outage on 2002-08-17 snippage]
>
> During the router upgrade seems to be a good time to move the
> evolt.org servers to the new circuits.
>
> 1)
> a) What says everyone about a definite 30 minute downtime for the
> changes/upgrades
> b) or a possible downtime without moving the servers to the new
> circuits?

I'd go for 1(a)

> 2) Will Dean, Matt, John or anyone in sysadmin be available if there
> are problems during reboot if we take option 1a?

Midnight EDT is 5am BST - I'll be zonked unless I make an effort - what
problems do we envisage?

> 3) Once we know which option we want to take, we need to get an
> announcement out quick.

Yah - can I propose we quickly build status.evolt.org either now or for
post-this-outage so that instead of sysadmin types having to write articles
and approve them etc etc bollocks, we have a mechanism for showing people
that weo/leo/beo/deo/meo/etc is alive/dead and if dead, for what reason, and
also to give announcements of any forthcoming outages ... makes sense,
especially since we provide services via meo / beo ...

> Sorry for the short notice, I was informed of the need to upgrade the
> backbone router this morning and it could not be put off for another
> week for better notification.

no probs Ron, thanks for the headsup.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'