[Theforum] Re: [Fwd: evolt.org permanant funding]

John Handelaar genghis at members.evolt.org
Mon Sep 9 10:07:16 CDT 2002

% -----Original Message-----
% From: theforum-admin at lists.evolt.org
% [mailto:theforum-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Dean Mah
% Sent: 09 September 2002 15:48
% To: theforum at lists.evolt.org
% Subject: Re: [Theforum] Re: [Fwd: evolt.org permanant funding]
%
% Is it open for relaying?

Who you calling an amateur?  Of course it's not :-)

% I can point MG to it as a host and we can
% see how it works.

Would that actually save any bandwidth at Ron's end?  I'm
thinking not, but that might be a different interpretation
between us as to what constitutes a relay in the context
of Mailman...

...actually, I was thinking that .forwarding entire
lists like thechat away to eouk or similar would be
more effective in cutting the throughput.

My own box is slightly less well-specced than eouk
and doesn't really have any trouble running MM2.13,
Qmail, Apache and MySQL with the web server chugging
its way through about 3Gb/day all on its own.  LEO
is much more loaded in process terms, innit?

% The biggest problem that I found with the relay
% servers were open connections that never completed.  When running
% sendmail you could easily get over 200 processes within a minute.
% postfix seems to have a more elegant way of handling that.

/me has no idea what's installed.  Postfix or Qmail would
be my preferred options, though, for sure.

Still, in the next few days I get to find out whether
my own no-bandwidth-cap box is getting renewed for free
for 12 months (long story).  If so...  <g>

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com