[Theforum] announcement to send (was: Affiliate Hosting Program Fund Raising)

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Wed Oct 23 18:29:05 CDT 2002

<quote who="Ron Dorman">
> The affiliate program will pay evolt.org 10% of monthly billing, that
> means before any expenses are taken out.  Then bandwidth, servers,
> network equipment, utilities and employees get paid.  Anything left will
> be go to the supporter, NetWorth Enterprises, Inc.  If you will check
> some prices and do some math, you will see that 10% of billed amounts is
> more than a "Kickback".
>
> Beyond that,  it is more than we are raising today.  What's the problem?

[I'm going to explain this from a view of someone who has been in these
situations many times before and not as someone who "represents" evolt
since I do not have any role in evolt other than to help it when I can and
try to voice my opinions to help shape the direction and focus]

The problem with this is that when Evolt puts this up it is NOT a simple
"get hosting from them, we get paid" thing.  This is something that evolt
is putting its *VERY* good name behind.  People respect evolt for it's
awesome content and top-notch community.  When "we" recommend a web host
we better  be pretty darn sure they are just as top-notch as us.  See what
I mean?  I've never heard of NetWorth Enterprises (not that it matters)
but I have no platform to say "host with these guys, they're rock solid
and honest." -- They probably are, but I've done enough dealings to know
that sometimes things aren't as they seem and so I'm cautious when I throw
my support behind something.

I think you and rest of TheForum can see my point.  By supporting this
evolt is saying "WE TRUST THEM" even if it does not literally say that.
So all I am trying to make sure or get people thinking about is, do we
really want to endorse this group? Do we know them, do we trust them, etc,
etc...

Are there people here who use them and know them and can vouch for them?
That's the real question.  All the services and offerings are a dime a
dozen.

Just my $.01999,
David Ulevitch
--
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the
world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead