[Theforum] Closing the contentarchive

Dean Mah dmah at members.evolt.org
Wed Jan 8 09:52:55 CST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:30:15AM -0500, Morgan Kelsey wrote:

> > > Spiders can be kept at bay with META tags, if that's the issue.
> >
> > Well behaved spiders, yes, but do you think spambots respect meta tags or
> > robots exclusion files?
> >

> ah, i dig ya. i took dean's initial message as saying the content of
> the message is what concerned people, not having their address
> there. my bad.

For me, it is about the content of the contentarchive and so I didn't
mention the e-mail address harvesting.  We've already put some measure
of protection in the archive software to prevent easy harvesting of
addresses.  Besides, a bigger, better source of addresses is
obtainable from thelist's archive.

However, sometimes we will get 'sensitive' information like
username/password sent to the content list.  Sometimes people say
something that they thought was private only to be found in the
archive.  Including metatags, robot.txt, etc. does not stop a real
person from browsing the archive and picking out that information.  So
in the past, I've manually gone through and edited the archives, which
if we want an accurate history of postings is inappropriate.

Dean