[Theforum] evolt.org revamp comment period open

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Sat Feb 1 18:48:25 CST 2003

My opinions on all this, for what they're worth:

> * To move to an environment such as http://www.rackshack.net with
> data costs of ~US$0.30/GB (nb this is where eouk & css-d are hosted)
> * To reduce the number of boxes required to 2 (likely one for leo,
> and one for all the web content & apps)
> * To use managed hosting (rather than owning our own boxes in co-lo)

Anything we can do to get costs down is a good thing. I've already given
more than I can afford, and seeing that pleadge drive bar staying still
on the homepage makes me feel guilty that I can't help more...

I think moving WEO to a shared hosting enviroment makes a lot of sense.
I don't know anything about CF, so I can't help with the coding
necessary for the switch, but if there's any grunt work to be done,
consider this an offer. :)

> MEMBERS.EVOLT.ORG

What if we just stop accepting new MEO accounts as soon as possible, and
worry about this after we move WEO to a cheaper host? If we're paying
$500/mo now to Ron, what would that figure be after moving WEO? I know
BEO and LEO are the big bandwidth issues, but how much would Ron's bill
go down by moving WEO ASAP?

(These acronyms are fun!) :)

I'd be more than happy to volunteer a few hours of my time to help out.
I can help change old articles over to XHTML if you'd like. I'm an ASP
guy, so unless you want to ditch CF I don't think I can help in the hard
part...

--Ken