[Theforum] evolt.org revamp comment period open

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Feb 3 03:12:47 CST 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Elfur Logadóttir wrote:

> hey, i've got similar things there as well, things related to evolt.org
> and evolt.cons, but probably some personal things as well that have
> little to nothing to do with evolt.org.

All of which should be publishable without guilt on the proposed neo-meo.
(reminder to self: we'll need to work out how 'running evolt'
documentation is handled as I don't think it's the same thing as personal
stuff, and you could argue that we shouldn't force elfur (etc) to pay for
an account to put it into)

> .| i guess the way the wind is blowing now, perhaps i should
> .| mirror those pics on my personal site in anticipation of meo
> .| being shut down
>
> but isn't the discussion moving towards nixing the experimental part and
> still providing a place to keep the things you and jeff and i, are
> currently using meo for.

Completely.

> .| if meo is in the "free" host category, i despair of it ever
> .| becoming financially viable
>
> it's my belief that meo isn't, shouldn't and never has been in the free
> hosting category.

To quote from the meo front page:
   What is members.evolt.org not?

   Members.evolt.org is NOT a 'general hosting' service. It is not for
   running personal bulletin boards, a fast link for you to put
   files/images
   on, or some place to come because you don't feel like paying for
   hosting.  The only reason this is mentioned as the second item is
   because
   so many people think that we're here to give out free space and
   bandwidth
   for anyone and everyone.

> .| but email forwarding seems like a no-brainer to retain,
> .| based on the minimal bandwidth it consumes
>
> sure, i agree with that

OK, how about we do that, keep an eye on traffic and have a think after a
few months whether it's enough of an insignificance to not worry about for
legacy meo users.

Also, I would think that it would be useful to offer this to neo-meo users
as part of the deal.