[Theforum] Re: [---list] What!? No t-shirt! [supporting evolt]

Martin Paul Burns martin.burns at uk.ibm.com
Mon Apr 14 04:46:47 CDT 2003

David

I think the /evolt/ store is a legacy one, from waaaaay back when. I'd
forgotten it had existed until I was picking user ids, and had to do
/evoltorg.

I don't know what the login details are - anyone remember?

We had a similar situation with our Amazon associates ID btw.

http://lists.evolt.org/financearchive/2003-April/000229.html

I've commented on a few other bits and bobs below

Elfur Logadottir <elfur at elfur.is> wrote...

> From: "David Kaufman"
>>
>> sorry, i dunno either.  theForum has been pretty quiet of late.

okay i did not mean to step on martin (or anyone's) toes in rushing to set
this up.  if i did, then i do apologize for acting unilaterally.

i did notice now that there is *another* a cafepress.com store set up as:
http://www.cafepress.com/evolt/ (i setup: /evoltGEAR, not /evolt ...) is
this perhaps martins work-in-progress?

> do you have Marlene's correct address?

>as i mentioned in my original post, when i opened the account, i set the
>payments to go directly to the address i see on the "support evolt"
>donations-page, http://www.evolt.org/help_support_evolt/  and that address
>is:

>    evolt.org
>    Attn: Treasurer
>    P.O. Box 631
>    Mountain View, CA
>    94042-0631

>    Important: Make checks, etc., out to "evolt.org."

>is this not correct?  has the address changed?  if so, please let me know
>where i should have the (monthly check) payments forwarded to!

Yes it has. Marlene - do you want this changing to your MD address?

>okay, well here comes a bit more from the teenie weenie discussion
>department:

>i would very much like to setup (and host) a site, where evolt members can
>post product images and contribute other (non-image) suggestions, such as
>humorous tag-lines to put on t-shirts, stickers, etc.

Fine, but what could also be good/better is just emailing URLs here and/or
Marketing. I don't think we need central hosting or any special
development.

>the absolutely hilarious suggestion (from .jeff, via Joshua i believe)
about
>a t-shirt with <body> on the front and </body> on the back,

This was the original evolt shirt - not sure whose idea it was.

>now that i'm looking back over the thread, though i do see that progress
was
>being made (without need of me leaping forward) and it was not my intent
>squelch any of that.  if anyone can get a local t-shirt company to print
>higher quality silk-screened shirts for $3 per, and evolt can afford to
>invest in a priting a run of dozens or hundreds, that's great!  but until
>then, we can use this cafepress site to "test the waters" risk-free and
see
>if we can even move a hundred shirts...

We already had that, including distribution - where it all got bogged down
was developing a site to actually sell the things. We had a prototype site,
but it didn't get any further.

This is partially why I'm a bit reluctant to do anything even slightly
complex. It's very, very, *very* easy to get held up developing bespoke
whizzy sites to submit simple images when most people can host simple
images, and submit URLs to this list.

Maybe an option or two would be:
1) Do it the KISS way as above to start with
2) Roll this into evolters.org (it sits nicely within the remit anyway)
3) Use http://www.evolt.org.uk as it has most of the functionality
required.

>the products will be popular and the project (as a continuing revenue
>stream) will succeed, imo only if the content on the shirts, mugs and
>whatnot stays **fresh**, changing often, and reflecting what evolters want
>and like ...the best way to keep the content fresh and relevant is to give
>MEMBERS a vehicle to participate, involve themselves and take some pride
in
>the level of the quality products (and humor!) that are available... i.e.
>something we are proud to point our friends to, and say, "we do that".

Possibly. Product innovation is generally A Good Thing if done carefully/in
a low-risk way.

Take a look at http://www.geekstyle.co.uk/ntkmart.cgi, most of whose
designs are reader-contributed.

Stealing one of their ideas, btw: