[theforum] [was-thelist] evolt.org down?

Martin martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 04:50:12 CDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, David A. Ulevitch wrote:

> Is it feasible that if we got CFMX running on a linux box with a database
> backend that evolt.org's CMS would work?

Without wanting to pre-empt comments from people who know it *way* better
than me, I would think so (as it used to run on Linux with the previous
iteration of CF).

BUT it would depend on the db backend - Jeff's just put a fair amount of
work converting the CMS from Oracle specific to SQL Server specific code,
and I don't think it'd be helpful to go through *another* conversion. At
the time of the last migration, ISTR that there wasn't time to abstract
the code to make it db-neutral.

>  If so, I think we have a dedicated box we can use for weo at our
> non-profit colo (we may also have a spare solaris box if that's
> preferred).  This is something the sysadmin@ group could manage and
> maintain.

That's extremely useful, and definitely worth bearing in mind for the
future, thankyou.

However, I think what we ought to do is roll all this together with the
redesign thinking, and consider the best long-term solutions for all 3
layers, to last us for a similar timescale to the current major iteration:
http://evolt.org/article/Announcing_evolt_org_2_0/1/4166/index.html
(note the date)