[theforum] idea

Isaac Forman isaac at bigtrip.org
Thu Jun 19 14:13:48 CDT 2003

I'm having an afternoon of brainstorming.

And I wondered if a gateway to sustaining evolt.org through
membership/finances would be charging for membership.

The next version of the site is likely to incorporate more
features, require more customising, etc.

Imagine that you owned slashdot.org and hadn't come up
with all their subscription crap. Then imagine that you can't
personalise any of it (unless you are a paying subscriber,
article contributor, etc). Once you've paid, you can set your
comment limit (mine is 2) to avoid trolls. You can
moderate. You can adapt the appearance, or have RSS
sidebars. Or any number of other things. For free, you can
get the raw information. With membership, you get the
perks -- ability to enter competitions for books/software,
and so on.

And perhaps other ways of gaining this access (as I
alluded to) would be writing an article. Write an article, and
you get 3 months membership or something like that. Or
maybe for every 15 valid comments you make, you get a
month, or based on tips on thelist, or article ratings.

And on member pages, it would have a box dealing their
support for evolt.org. UserX has been a paid member for 9
months, contributed 12 articles, 25 comments, rated 19
articles, etc. Top contributors get promoted on the site.
Nothing ridiculous, just a link somewhere to a page called
"Our top supporters".

One thing I like about salon (though I don't know how
successful it is) is there "watch 15 second ad, get access
for a day" system. Probably irrelevant here, but I just
thought I'd mention it.

isaac

BigTrip.org | Isaac and Kate : World Tour 2003 - 2004
+61 414 758 000 | www.bigtrip.org | isaac at bigtrip.org